What I am doing this week

  • Continuing to complete my Appeals database App at work (This will be ongoing until completion)
  • Software Engineering Update
  • Moviri


More holds on any more development. Again I was working on finalizing and provisioning everyone's workspaces. I first provisioned some instances to whom I thought would need the access immediately. Later in a quick meet-up with my boss's boss, I found out he wants all the same access mirrored from a list of AD groups. Well, after some investigating I will have to create 40 new accounts in AWS directory services. I have been trying to consolidate a good list as an excel document for each of the users, and their passwords. I think I will develop an AD script to bulk upload them from CSV.

I also had to work on getting the data ready for the SQL instance. I had to move a previously compressed data file for CHIA (Center for Health Information and Analysis) research. The dataset was over 700 gigabytes and I managed to compress it down to 97 gigabytes and send it off to AWS in around 12 hours using my work's internet connection. The other dataset I had to move up to AWS was a SQL database backup from 3-25. I used the same tool created by Amazon to push the data up and into Simple Storage Service (S3). The tool is written in python and called AWS CLI. Once it is set up it makes my life a hell of a lot easier.

I also got a second dataset from CHIA that is over 1.1 terabytes of data (1000 gigabytes). The encrypted drive they sent over is a pain in the ass to use. I think the problem is with windows because whenever the drive is not being used, windows puts it into a standby state. The problem is that this drive immediately locks when disconnected and this standby state is triggering that. I have had the drive kill my copy commands at different intervals of time making this a harder endeavor than I initially anticipated. Anyways I have until next Thursday to get this copied and verified so I am not too worried.

Software Engineering

This week we focused heavily on deploying everyone's code to GitHub. For the database group, we didn't have much to contribute. I decided to use my time and push database documentation and queries for the other teams to reference and use. First I started by taking Tim's ERD and lab8 to build out SQL files that could be used for both MySQL if our team used a standard LAMP/MAMP/WAMP server to host their PHP files and I also wrote the same statements with compatibility with SQLite3 for easier development since you don't have to go through the hassle of creating database credentials. The SQL statements even included some dummy data for the teams to use so their code wasn't just pointing to an empty database. For even more easier access to a working database, I pushed a SQLite db to the database folder that had the same schema and dummy data as the SQL statements.

I also created a MarkDown file that documents our team, how the columns are set up, and the ERD and Input/Output diagram for easier reference. Other than that I create a new branch called documentation which I used to put all the documents we have submitted to BlackBoard in one place as PDF files. Finally, Tim was a bit flustered with all the placeholders and documentation that was pushed to the repo, so I decided to make a production branch that would clean up the excess code and give Tim a compact version of our App so he could upload it to the server. Overall, I had a busy week.


I had a pretty cool interview with the guys at Moviri. Since the HR person was traveling for work, I got to be interviewed with some of the guys who I would most likely be working with directly. I worked on a problem to code a CLI tool to take in some comma separated files as inputs and do some bandwidth calculations to get some sort of output. I did the code in Golang, and I am pretty sure I fudged up something syntactically. I don't think I was being judged for syntax. I tried to be as clear as possible in my answers, but as the hour went on I was feeling really tired. I sort of got choked up on the open-end networking question. I wasn't particularly sure how they wanted the question answered and was confused when the technician mentioned calculations. All they wanted was my method of troubleshooting an unknown problem by looking at a graph of points for what looked like a web app which had a 20% cap for CPU utilization at no matter how many hundreds of thousands of transactions called against the application. It took a bit of time to probe exactly what they wanted, but I answered with starting to investigate the networking first if networking isn't a problem may be the application had a bottleneck in either secondary memory (RAM) or tertiary memory (HDD, SAN, NAS...). My final answer was to attack the problem first through the network, then investigate the memory storage schemes used, then finally if nothing was discovered, pick apart the application. Hope they liked my answers and want a follow-up interview.


AWS., AWS CLI v1.14.68, (2018, March 31). GitHub repository,